Rheumatology is a rapidly growing subspecialty of General Medicine that deals with the management of Rheumatic Diseases. Tremendous progress has been made in the last decade in this area in terms of diagnosis and management of different Rheumatic diseases.
Introduction of biologic agents in particular for the treatment of Rheumatic diseases has revolutionized this specialty. Now not only the better disease control but also the remission is possible in these Rheumatic diseases if effective treatment is offered at an earlier stage.
Studies have shown that early intervention with appropriate and effective available treatment options have reduced the joint damage and disability.
Rheumatic diseases can generally be classified as
- Inflammatory arthritides / Spondyloarthropathies:- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Inflammatory bowel disease associated arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis etc.,.
- Connective tissue diseases:- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, scleroderma, sjogren's syndrome and mixed connective tissue diseases.
- Vasculitides:- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis( Wegeners' disease), Microscopic polyangiitis, Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg Strauss disease), Kawasaki disease, Henoch schonlein purpura, Cryoglobulinaemic vasculitis etc.
- Degenerative joint diseases:- Osteoarthritis, Cervical and lumbar spondylosis.
- Crystal associated diseases / Bone & Joint infections
- Metabolic bone diseases and osteoporosis
- Regional pain syndrome & nerve entrapment disorders
- Fibromyalgia / chronic pain syndrome.
In this changing environment, we continue to adopt up to date diagnostic techniques and management strategies to provide best medical care to our patients having rheumatic diseases as outlined above.